Sports team leadership training course
Do you coach or manage a sports team?
Would you like your team to perform better?
Be more resilient and mentally tough?
Be more fun?
Attend this 2-day course to learn how to lead your team to greatness using an approach developed from extensive research into the psychology of teams.
The secret ingredient in great teams
England’s football team, ranked 13th, finished 4th in the World Cup, won a penalty shoot-out for the first time ever and helped the nation fall back in love with football. How did they achieve this transformation in performance and resilience? By building a team identity.
Southgate created and embedded, a team identity that enabled England to rediscover “who they are”. On this course you will learn how to become an identity leader capable of transforming a team, using a proven and practical process.
“One of the biggest things that the gaffer wanted to bring when he came in [was] to have an identity of the team and how we wanted to play.”Jordan Henderson
“Mental strength and resilience is the key to success at the highest level of every sport. If you look at those at the very top it’s probably the distinguishing featureGareth Southgate
What you will learn
Leaders don’t need more information about teams, they need new insights and that is what this training provides. Insights into how powerful group psychological processes have a profound impact on what happens in teams. How performance, resilience, passion and commitment can be systematically developed to drive sustained high performance.
The role of team identity
We have been collaborating with Sussex University for five years to try and understand what happens in high performing teams that is missing in ordinary teams and the research homed in on the pivotal role of team identity.
The research revealed that teams with strong identities outperform those with weak identities, by more than 50%. Not a marginal gain, but a massive transformation in performance caused by having a stronger team identity. We went on to investigate what leaders needed to do to create and embed this kind of transformational identity and found that it all stemmed from just five core shared beliefs.
We took these insights and turned them into a step-by-step process called TRIBE, which has been used by teams in sport, the military and business.
The result is a proven process that makes the secret performance benefits available to you. This two-day course is designed specifically for leaders in sport who want to learn how to use TRIBE to make their teams great.
“We worked realy hard as a squad to create our identity. Be the difference, create history and inspire the future”McCallin, GB Hockey player
Why Should you trust us?
- GB Women’s hockey team in preparation for the Rio Olympic and their Gold medal winning performance. They were also voted “Best team of the Games” by the International Olympic Associations.
- Warwickshire CCC used TRIBE in 2016 and won the Royal London One Day Cup.
- Royal Navy rugby team in their 2016 championship winning season.
- GB Wheelchair Rugby team is currently using TRIBE in preparation for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics.
- Senior officer training in the Army, Navy and RAF about high performing teams has been based on TRIBE for more than 10 years.
- Leadership teams commanding forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, such as Joint Helicopter Command, the Surgeon General and even the Army Chaplain General have used TRIBE to become more cohesive and engaged in performance.
- NATO officers Advanced & Staff Course run at the Joint Services Command and Staff College .
- The Royal Marines to advise them on ways to modify their identity to improve focus and resilience in the battlefield.
Now this approach is available to you.
What you will be able to do
After the training you will know how to:
- Get buy-in from prima donnas to put the team first.
- Develop mental toughness and resilience so you can perform under pressure better.
- Develop focus and concentration in players.
- Improve engagement at training and reduce laziness and taking short cuts.
- Improve tactical execution.
- Create a sense of cohesion and togetherness.
- Increase pride and satisfaction in the team.
- Reduce and even eliminate selfish and egotistical behaviour.
- Make it more fun.
- Win more.
Former All Blacks captain Anton Oliver
Anton has helped in the development of TRIBE, adding insights from his experieinces with the All Blacks. He was a member of the player leadership group that rebooted the All Blacks identity in 2004, transforming them into the most successful international team in history, in any sport. His practical understanding of the dressing room has helped us to develop training that really works for sports teams. Together we used TRIBE to analyse the evolution of the All Blacks identifying what had the biggest impact and why.
Many leaders have tried to copy the All Blacks and in so doing completely missed the point of what makes a great team. On this training you will learn the underlying principles behind the All Blacks culture so you can systematically create your own performance identity, rather than copying and hoping!
TRIBE is a brilliant tool for teams and leaders. If we’d had it in the All Blacks we would have saved a lot of time and got to our destination quicker.Anton Oliver
TRIBE is based on good science and sound research, which shows a big impact on team performance.Rupert Brown
10 ways this course will help you
Leaders don’t need more training and more information, you need insights into how things work and the underlying causes. This training gives you those insights and enables you to:
- Win more matches
- Develop mental toughness.
- Create a cohesive squad of players, coaches, managers and support staff.
- Think about your role as a leader in a different way.
- Identify and engage player leaders.
- Reduce conflict and politics, especially around selection.
- Integrate creating a winning culture into your season training plans.
- Save time, by having a clear direction that has been shown to work.
- Engage with your fans more effectively. Whether you play on a lonely field with a handful of supporters or in a stadium with thousands, every team benefits from loyal fans.
- Feel the passion and pride that comes from belonging to a great team.
In our beautiful converted barn in Steyning, West Sussex in the South Downs. Please contact us for any further details.
14th & 15th January 2019
If you are interested but cannot do these dates, complete the application form and tick the box to say you want to be notified of future dates.
£750 + VAT
Frequently asked questions
I’m an amateur coach, is it right for me?
I coach youth teams, is it right for me?
We are currently working on using TRIBE in schools with staff and children. The first pilot in a primary school went well and the second in a secondary school will begin this autumn.
I am a manager, but not the coach, is it right for me?
I don't have any experience as a leader. Will this help me?
How do you know what makes a successful leader in sport?
WHO should attend?
- Team managers
- Directors of sport
- PE teachers
Why can’t I just copy Gareth Southgate, the All Blacks, or [insert team name]?
How much does it cost?
£750 + VAT
What’s your refund policy?
- Pre-course phone call to discuss pre-work and check this is the right course for you.
- TRIBE planning templates
- Presentation templates to communicate with your team
- Membership of Great Teams Academy
- Access to the private leader resource hub
- Post-course webinars to support your implementation of teh training.